The product is not converting characters to editable text (OCR). What should I do?
If characters in your scanned images are not recognized during OCR conversion, try these solutions:
- Make sure your original is loaded straight on your product.
- Use an original with clear text.
- Receipts made of thermal paper may deteriorate faster. Scan them as soon as possible.
- When saving scanned images as searchable PDFs, make sure the correct OCR language is selected.
- In Epson ScanSmart, select Settings > Scan Settings, adjust the following settings, and try scanning again:
- On the Main Settings tab, make sure you select the correct Image Type for your original.
- On the Main Settings tab, set the Resolution between 200 and 600 dpi.
- On the Advanced Settings tab, select Text Enhancement and choose a setting.
Note: The Text Enhancement setting depends on the selected Image Type.
- If the Image Type is set to Black & White, adjust the Threshold setting on the Advanced Settings tab. (The Image Option must be set to None.)
- Set the Image Type to Grayscale.
- If the original document is in landscape mode, set the Rotate setting to Auto.
- If you are using OCR software, check the manual for any additional adjustments.
- Scan thermal paper receipts as soon as possible. They may deteriorate due to age or friction.
- When saving to Microsoft Office or Searchable PDF files, check that the correct languages are selected. Check the language in each save setting window.
Published: Feb 6, 2020 Was this helpful? Thank you for the feedback!