My printout has lines running through it. What should I do?
Make sure you are using a compatible paper type and the printable side of the paper is face up in the sheet feeder. Select your paper type in the printer driver menu and let the driver automatically set the print settings. Make sure the paper thickness lever is in the correct position for your paper type and your ink cartridges are not outdated. They should be replaced six months after installing them in the printer to ensure the ink is fresh.
If necessary, follow these steps to run the head cleaning utility and nozzle check:
- Make sure the printer is turned on but not printing, and the red ink light is off. Note: If the ink light is flashing or on, you cannot clean the print head. Replace the appropriate ink cartridge first.
- Windows: Right-click the printer icon on your taskbar (in the lower right corner of your screen). Select Head Cleaning.
Macintosh OS 8.6 to 9.x: Open the File menu and choose Page Setup or Print. Click the Utility button, then click the Head Cleaning button.
Macintosh OS X: Open the Applications folder and select EPSON Printer Utility. Select SP 900 in the printer list, click OK, and select Head Cleaning.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to clean the print head.
Cleaning takes about 45 seconds. The printer makes noise and the green power light flashes. Caution: Never turn off the printer while the green power light is flashing, unless the printer hasn't moved or made noise for more than 5 minutes.
- When the green power light stops flashing, make sure paper is loaded in the printer. Click Confirmation, then click Next.
- Your printer prints a nozzle check. Shown below are some examples of what the nozzle check may look like.
Print head needs cleaning
- If the nozzle check pattern has no gaps or white lines, click Finish.
If the pattern has white lines, click Clean to clean the print head again.
If you don't see any improvement after cleaning three or four times, check the solutions beginning on page 43 in your Printer Basics book. You can also turn off the printer and wait overnight this allows any dried ink to soften. Then try cleaning the print head again.
Was this helpful? Thank you for the feedback!