How do I replace an ink cartridge?
If an ink cartridge is more than six months old, you may need to replace it. How can you tell? You may notice that your printouts don't look as good as they used to. If print quality doesn't improve after cleaning and aligning the print head, you can replace one or both cartridges. Follow these steps to replace an ink cartridge before the black or color ink out light is flashing or on:
1. Remove the new ink cartridge from its packaging.
2. Remove only the yellow part of the tape seal on top, as shown below. Don't pull off the blue portion or try to remove the clear seal underneath the cartridge. You must remove the yellow tape from the top of the cartridge or you will permanently damage the cartridge. Don't remove the clear seal from the bottom of the cartridge; ink will leak.
3. Make sure the printer is turned on and not printing (the power light should be on, but not flashing), then open the printer cover.
4. Press the load/eject button and hold it down for three seconds until the print head moves to the left to the black ink cartridge replacement position and the power light begins flashing. (If you need to replace only the color ink cartridge, press the load/eject button again until the print head moves to the color ink cartridge replacement position.) To avoid damaging the printer, never move the print head by hand. Don't open the clamp or remove a cartridge except to replace it with a new one. Once you remove a cartridge, you can't reuse it, even if it contains ink.
5. Pull up the ink cartridge clamp. The cartridge rises up from its holder.
6. Lift the cartridge out of the printer and dispose of it carefully. If ink gets on your hands, wash them thoroughly with soap and water. If ink gets into your eyes, flush them immediately with water.
7. Lower the new ink cartridge into its holder with the label facing up and toward the back of the printer.
8. Press the ink cartridge clamp down until it locks in place.
9. Press the load/eject button. The print head moves to the color ink cartridge replacement position. If you need to replace the color ink cartridge, repeat steps 4 through 8. Then continue with step 10.
10. Press the load/eject button again and close the printer cover. The printer moves the print head and begins charging the ink delivery system. The power light flashes and the printer makes various sounds. Charging takes about one minute. When it's finished, the power light stops flashing and stays on. Never turn off the printer while the power light is flashing, unless the printer hasn't moved or made noise for more than 5 minutes.
Was this helpful? Thank you for the feedback!