How do I replace an ink cartridge when an ink low or out condition occurs?
To replace an ink cartridge using the ink cartridge replacement button, follow the steps below.
1. Make sure the printer is on. The power light should be on, but not flashing.
2. Lower the output tray, then open the printer cover.
3. Press the ink cartridge replacement button. The print head moves to the center, which is the ink cartridge replacement position, the power light begins flashing, and the error light also begins to flash or remains on. Do not move the print head by hand, as this may damage the printer. Always press the ink replacement button to move it.
4. Push back the release tabs and lift up the ink cartridge clamp as far as it will go. The cartridge rises partly out of the cartridge holder.
5. Lift the cartridge out of the printer and dispose of it properly. Do not take the used cartridge apart or try to refill it. After you remove an ink cartridge from the printer, please insert a new one immediately. If no cartridge is present, the print head may dry out and become unable to print. Warning: If ink gets on your hands, wash them thoroughly with soap and water. If ink gets into your eyes, flush them immediately with water. If discomfort or vision problems remain after a thorough flushing, see a doctor immediately.
6. Remove the new ink cartridge from its protective bag. Next, remove only the yellow tape seal from the cartridge. Caution: You must remove the yellow tape seal from the cartridge before installing it; otherwise, the cartridge will become unusable and you will be unable to print. If you have installed an ink cartridge without removing the yellow tape seal, you must remove the cartridge and install a new one. Prepare the new cartridge by removing the yellow tape seal, then install it in the printer. Do not remove the blue portion of the tape seal from the top of the cartridge; otherwise, the print head may become clogged and be unable to print. Do not remove the tape seal from the bottom of the cartridge; otherwise, ink will leak. Do not touch the green IC chip on the side of the cartridge; otherwise, normal operation and printing may not be possible. Do not remove the green IC chip from the side of the cartridge. If you install an ink cartridge without an IC chip, the printer may be damaged.
7. Align the tabs on the ink cartridge so that they are resting on the tabs protruding from the base of the opened ink cartridge clamp. Do not force the cartridge into place. Make sure the ink cartridge tabs are not under the hinges protruding from the base of the opened ink cartridge clamp, as this could damage the clamp.
8. Press the ink cartridge replacement button. The printer moves the print head and begins charging the ink delivery system. This process takes about one minute to complete. When the ink charging process is finished, the printer returns the print head to its home position, the power light stops flashing and remains on, and the error light goes out. Never turn off the printer while the power light is flashing. Doing so can result in incomplete charging of ink.
9. Close the printer cover.
Published: Apr 15, 2008 Was this helpful? Thank you for the feedback!