Why do I see a communication error message when trying to print?
You may see an error message if another computer on your network is trying to print at the same time. The green light on the print server flashes when data is transmitted to the print server. Wait until the first print job is printed. Your job will print when it reaches the top of the print queue. You want to use a password on your AirPort network. Because AirPort uses passwords that do not follow the standard for WEP encryption, you need to change your network password to a hexadecimal value. Do the following: 1. Create a computer-to-computer network without password protection on the Macintosh computer that you use to configure the print server. 2. Follow the steps in the installation and setup manual to install the printer driver and WP-Admin, and to establish a connection to the print server. 3. Make the following selections on the Wireless Server Configuration screen:
- Select 64BIT in the WEP key box.
- In the 64Bit Key 1 box, enter a hexadecimal value consisting of 10 digits, or a combination of digits and letters. Digits can be from 0 to 9, and letters must be between A and F. For example: 62B91F2A98.
- If you have an AirPort Base Station, enter a name for your network in the SSID box. Then change the Wireless Mode to Infrastructure. 4. Make any other changes that you want to the Wireless Server Configuration screen and click OK. When you see the Wireless Server Search window, click QUIT. 5. If you want to use the printer in computer-to-computer (ad hoc) mode, go to step 6. If you have an AirPort Base Station, do the following:
- For Network Name, configure the base station to use the name that you entered in the SSID box on the Wireless Server Configuration screen.
- For Network Password, select the hexadecimal value that you entered in the 64Bit Key 1 box, preceded by the number zero (0) and lowercase letter x. For example: 0x62B91F2A98. Then go to step 7. 6. To use the printer in computer-to-computer mode, do the following:
- Create a computer-to-computer network.
- When prompted, enter as your password the hexadecimal value you entered in the 64Bit Key 1 box on the Wireless Server Configuration screen. This value must be preceded by the number zero (0) and lowercase letter x. For example: 0x62B91F2A98. 7. Open the Chooser from the Apple menu. Select the C80 Series icon, then click the EPSON Stylus C80 printer port icon. Turn on background printing if you want, and close the Chooser. 8. For each Macintosh on your network, either select a connection to your base station from the AirPort Networks list, or join the computer-to-computer network that your print server is on. 9. When prompted, enter the network password that you created in step 5 (if you_re using a base station) or step 6 (if you_re using the printer in computer-to-computer mode). 10. Follow the instructions in the Installation and Setup Manual to set up printing on your other Macintosh computers.
Was this helpful? Thank you for the feedback!