How do I replace the ink cartridges?
Note: Your printer is designed to work only with genuine Epson-brand ink cartridges. Other brands of ink cartridges and ink supplies are not compatible and, even if described as compatible, may not function properly or at all. Epson periodically provides firmware updates to address issues of security, performance, minor bug fixes and ensure the printer functions as designed. These updates may affect the functionality of third-party ink. Non-Epson branded or altered Epson cartridges that functioned prior to a firmware update may not continue to function.
Removing and Installing Ink CartridgesMake sure you have your replacement cartridges handy before you begin. You must install new cartridges immediately after removing the old ones.
Leave your old cartridges in the product until you are ready to replace them to prevent the print head nozzles from drying out. Do not open ink cartridge packages until you are ready to install the ink. Cartridges are vacuum packed to maintain reliability.
Note: If you remove a low or expended ink cartridge, you cannot re-install and use the cartridge.
- Turn on your product.
- If an ink cartridge is expended, you see a message on the LCD screen. Note which cartridges need to be replaced and follow the on-screen instructions or the instructions below to replace the cartridge.
- If you are replacing a cartridge before you see a message on the LCD screen, press the home button if necessary, and select Maintenance > Ink Cartridge(s) Replacement > Next > Start.
Note: You can also select How To to view ink replacement instructions on the LCD screen.
- Lift up the scanner unit until the support clicks into place.
Do not move the print head by hand; otherwise, you may damage your product. Do not touch the flat white cable or translucent film inside the product.
- Squeeze the tab on the cartridge and lift the cartridge straight up to remove it.
Note: Dispose of used cartridges carefully. Do not take the used cartridge apart or try to refill it.
Warning: If ink gets on your skin, wash it thoroughly with soap and water. If ink gets into your eyes, flush them immediately with water. If ink gets into your mouth, spit it out and see a doctor right away. Keep ink cartridges out of the reach of children.
- If you are replacing the black ink cartridge, gently shake the new black ink cartridge four or five times before unpacking it. Do not shake the color ink cartridges.
Do not shake the cartridges after opening the packages, or ink may leak.
- Remove the cartridge from the package.
Do not touch the areas shown here. Doing so may prevent normal operation and printing.
- Remove the yellow tape from the cartridge.
Do not remove any other labels or seals, or the ink cartridge may leak or become unusable.
- Insert the new cartridge into the holder and push it down until it clicks into place and is level with the other cartridges.
- Lift the scanner unit up slightly and lower it. When the scanner unit catches, lift it up again and lower it completely.
Note: The scanner unit cannot be opened from the position shown below. Close it completely before operating your product or opening the scanner unit again.
- Select Completed on the LCD screen. The print head moves to its home position and the product starts charging the ink. This takes a few minutes. When you see a completion message on the screen, ink replacement is finished.
Do not turn off the product while ink is charging or you may not be able to print.
If you remove an ink cartridge for later use, protect the ink supply area from dirt and dust and store it in the same environment as the printer. The valve in the ink supply port is designed to contain any excess ink, but do not touch the ink supply port or surrounding area. Always store ink cartridges with the label facing up; do not store cartridges upside-down.
Purchase Epson Ink Cartridges and Maintenance Box
Ink Cartridge Safety Instructions
- Turn on your product.