How do I decide which scanning resolution to select when scanning?
Select the scanning resolution based on how you will use your scanned image:
- E-mail, view on a computer screen, or post on the web: 96 to 150 dpi
- Fax: 200 dpi
- Print on an inkjet printer: 300 dpi
- Convert to editable text (OCR): 300 to 400 dpi
- You will enlarge the image as you scan it.
If you will enlarge the image in Epson Scan using the Target Size setting (Home and Professional Modes only), you don't need to increase the Resolution setting.
- You will scan the image at its original size, but then enlarge it later in an image-editing program.
If you will enlarge your image later in an image-editing program, you need to increase the Resolution setting to retain a high image quality. Increase the resolution by the same amount you will increase the image size. For example, if the resolution is 300 dpi and you plan to increase the image size by 200% later, change the Resolution setting to 600 dpi.
Published: Jun 2, 2010 Was this helpful? Thank you for the feedback!