How do I replace the product rollers?
Replace the scanner rollers when the number of scans exceeds the life cycle of the rollers. Check the scanner roller counter to see when you need to replace the rollers.
Note: The illustrations show the ES-500W II, but the instructions are the same for the ES-400 II.
Note: Frequent use of textured media may cause premature wear on the rollers. If frequent paper jams occur before the life cycle of the rollers is exceeded, try cleaning the rollers. In some cases, the rollers may need to be replaced before the number of scans exceeds the life cycle of the rollers.
- Turn off the scanner.
- Unplug the AC adapter.
- Disconnect any connected cables.
- Pull down on the cover open lever and open the scanner cover.
- Press down on the pickup roller cover latch and pull up the cover to remove it.
- Pull down the tab on the pickup roller and slide the roller to the right to remove it.
Note: Do not use force to pull out the pickup roller; doing so may damage the inside of the scanner.
- To install the new pickup roller, align the notches on the roller unit and slide it to the left. Press up on the tab to secure the roller.
- Align the bottom edge of the pickup roller cover into the notches as shown and press it down until it clicks into place.
Note: If you are not able to close the cover, the pickup roller is not installed correctly. Remove the roller unit and reinstall it, then try to close the cover again.
- Squeeze the tabs on the sides of the separation roller cover and open the cover.
Be careful not to apply too much force when opening the cover.
- Slide the separation roller to the left and remove it.
- To install a new separation roller, insert the end of the roller into the hole on the right side and lower the other end of the roller into place.
- Close the separation roller cover until you hear it click into place.
Note: If you are not able to close the cover, the roller is not installed correctly. Remove the roller and reinstall it, then try to close the cover again.
- Close the scanner cover.
- Connect any disconnected cables.
- Plug in the AC adapter and turn on the scanner.
- Reset the roller counter.
Note: Make sure to dispose of the pickup roller and the separation roller following the rules and regulations of your local authority. Do not disassemble them.
Resetting the Number of Scans After Cleaning
Resetting the Scanner Roller Counter
User Replaceable Epson Scanner Parts