I am unable to scan from my computer. What should I do?
If you're scanning with Epson Scan (the scanning software that came with your all-in-one), be sure to follow the steps in Start Epson Scan. If you're scanning with software other than Epson Scan, see Scan From Another Program.
If Epson Scan does not start, check the following:
- Make sure the all-in-one is turned on.
- Make sure that Epson Scan is selected in your scanning program.
- Try restarting your computer.
- The scanner may not work properly when your computer is in standby mode (Windows) or sleep mode (Mac OS X). Restart Epson Scan and try scanning again.
- The scanner may not work properly if you upgraded your operating system but did not reinstall Epson Scan.
- If the all-in-one is connected to your computer by a USB cable, check the cable connection between the all-in-one and your computer to make sure it is secure.
- If the all-in-one is connected to a USB hub, make sure it's connected to a first tier hub (the hub closest to the host computer) with an A/C adapter when more than one hub is connected to the computer.
- If the all-in-one is connected to your computer over a network connection, check the following:
- If network communication was interrupted while starting Epson Scan, exit Epson Scan, and restart it after a few seconds. If Epson Scan cannot restart, turn the printer off and back on, and then try restarting Epson Scan. Check the Timeout Setting in EPSON Scan Settings. For details, see the Epson Scan Help.
- If you have a firewall or Internet security software installed, the search feature in EPSON Scan Settings may not work correctly. In this case, print a Network Status Sheet, open EPSON Scan Settings, select Network (if necessary), click Add, click Enter address, and enter the IP address manually.
- If you are scanning a large document at high resolution, a communication error may occur. If the scan did not complete, lower the resolution.
If your scanner software does not work properly, check the following:
- Make sure your computer has enough memory and meets the other system requirements for the software you are using. See your software documentation for details.
- The scanner software may not work properly when your computer is in standby mode (Windows) or sleep mode (Mac OS X). Restart Epson Scan and try scanning again.
- The scanner software may not work properly if you upgraded your operating system, but do not reinstall Epson Scan.
Published: Aug 21, 2009 Was this helpful? Thank you for the feedback!