I'm having paper feed problems. What should I do?
The solution for a paper problem depends on whether you are using the sheet feeder or the Automatic Document Feeder. See the solutions below.
- If paper doesn't feed, remove it from the sheet feeder. Fan it, then stack and align the edges. Reload it against the right side, behind the tab, then squeeze the left edge guide and slide it against the paper. Make sure the paper is not above the arrow mark inside the left edge guide. Make sure the paper support extensions are fully extended.
- If multiple pages feed at once, remove the paper from the sheet feeder, fan the edges to separate the sheets, then reload it.
- Make sure you use new, smooth, high-quality paper that is not curled, creased, old, or too thin. Load it printable side up.
- Do not load paper with holes punched in it for insertion in a binder.
Make sure you load only up to the recommended number of sheets. If you're printing on both sides of the paper, try loading fewer sheets.
Paper type Load up to this many sheets Plain paper—letter-size (8.5 x 11 inches [216 x 279 mm]) Approximately 100 sheets* Epson Bright White Paper
Epson Presentation Paper Matte
80 Epson Photo Paper Glossy
Epson Premium Photo Paper Glossy
Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy
Epson Premium Photo Paper Semi-gloss
Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte
Plain paper—legal size (8.5 x 14 inches [216 x 356 mm])
20 Epson Premium Presentation Paper Matte Double-Sided
Epson Photo Quality Self-Adhesive Sheets
Epson Iron-On Cool Peel Transfer Paper
- If the paper doesn't eject fully, you may have set the wrong paper size. Press the Color button, then open the scanner and remove the paper. Select the correct paper size when you reprint.
- If it's wrinkled when it ejects, the paper may be damp or too thin.
- If the paper jams, do the following:
- Gently pull any jammed paper out from the output tray or sheet feeder.
- If paper is stuck inside, turn off the product.
- Lift the scanner, remove the jammed paper and torn pieces, lower the scanner, and turn the product back on.
Automatic Document Feeder
- If multiple pages feed at once, remove the paper from the Automatic Document Feeder, fan the edges to separate the sheets, then reload them.
- Make sure the originals are not creased or folded and do not have tape, staples, or other materials that could obstruct the feeder. Load only up to 30 letter- or A4-size sheets (up to 10 for legal-size) at a time and slide the edge guides against the paper. Insert the originals face-up, top edge first.
- If the LCD indicates that a paper jam has occurred, press OK and follow the steps below:
- Open the Automatic Document Feeder cover and remove any jammed paper.
Open the Automatic Document Feeder cover before removing paper, or you could damage the mechanism.
- The message on the LCD screen asks if paper has been removed. Press 1 to clear the message.
- Lift the document cover, remove any jammed paper, then lower the scanner cover.
- Close the Automatic Document Feeder cover and reload the paper. Make sure the corners of the paper are not bent, folded, or curled up.
Published: Aug 19, 2010 Was this helpful? Thank you for the feedback!