I replaced an ink cartridge and my product shows that the same ink cartridge is expended. What should I do?
If you have just installed a new cartridge and you still see an ink related error, the cartridge may not be installed correctly.
Follow the steps below to make sure the cartridge is correctly installed.
We recommend that you use genuine Epson cartridges and do not refill them. The use of other products may affect your print quality and could result in printer damage.
- Make sure the printer is turned on.
- Open the printer cover.
- Press the ink button to move the print head to the ink replacement position.
Caution: Do not move the print head by hand or touch the flat white cable behind the print head to avoid damaging your printer.
- Open the cartridge cover.
- Press down each ink cartridge until it clicks into place. (If a cartridge is properly seated already, you may not hear a click.)
When you installed the new cartridge, you should have removed the yellow tape from the bottom. If you know you removed it, skip to step 6. If you're not sure, you can pull out the cartridge to check. (Squeeze the tab on the cartridge and lift it straight up.) Remove the tape if necessary, then reinstall the cartridge, pressing it down firmly.
It's best not to remove a cartridge unless necessary. Note that if you remove a low or expended ink cartridge, you cannot reinstall and use that cartridge again.
If ink gets on your hands, wash them thoroughly with soap and water. If ink gets into your eyes, flush them immediately with water. Keep ink cartridges out of the reach of children.
- Close the cartridge cover and push it down until it clicks into place.
- Close the printer cover.
- Press the ink button to begin charging the ink. This takes about 2 ½ minutes. The power light flashes as the ink charges. When the power light stops flashing and the ink light goes out, ink charging is finished.
Never turn off your Epson printer while ink is charging or you'll waste ink.
Published: Apr 28, 2011 Was this helpful? Thank you for the feedback!