How do I change the ink cartridges?
Do the following:
Make sure you have your replacement cartridges handy before you begin. You must install new cartridges immediately after removing the old ones.
Caution: Leave your old cartridges in the printer until you are ready to replace them to prevent the print head nozzles from drying out. Do not open ink cartridge packages until you are ready to install the ink. Cartridges are vacuum packed to maintain reliability.
- Turn on your product.
- If an ink cartridge is expended, you see a message on the LCD screen. Note which cartridges need to be replaced and press the OK button, then choose Replace now.
- If you are replacing a cartridge before you see a message on the LCD screen, press the Menu button, press the up or down arrow buttons to select Maintenance, press the up or down arrow buttons to select Ink Cartridge Replacement and press the OK button.
- Lift up the scanner unit.
- Squeeze the tab on the cartridge and lift the cartridge straight up to remove it.
- Before opening the new cartridge package, shake it gently four or five times.
- Remove the cartridge from the package.
- Remove the yellow tape from the side of the cartridge.
- Insert the new cartridge into the holder and push it down until it clicks into place.
- Lower the scanner unit.
- Press the OK button. The print head moves to its home position and the printer starts charging the ink. This takes about 90 seconds. When you see a confirmation message on the screen, ink charging is finished.
Caution: Never turn off the product while the power light is flashing or you will waste ink.If you see an error screen telling you an ink cartridge is installed incorrectly, press the OK button, lift up the scanner unit, and press the ink cartridge down until it clicks into place. When you're finished, press the OK button again.
Caution: Do not move the print head by hand; otherwise, you may damage your product. Do not touch the flat white cable inside the printer.
Caution: Do not lift up the scanner unit when the document cover is open.
Note: Dispose of used cartridges carefully. Do not take the used cartridge apart or try to refill it.
Warning: If ink gets on your skin, wash it thoroughly with soap and water. If ink gets into your eyes, flush them immediately with water. If ink gets into your mouth, spit it out and see a doctor right away. Keep ink cartridges out of the reach of children.
Caution: Do not shake the cartridges after opening the packages, or ink may leak.
Caution: Do not touch the green chip or the small window on the cartridge. Install the new cartridge immediately after removing the old one; if you do not, the print head may dry out and be unable to print.
Caution: Do not remove any other labels or seals, or ink will leak.
If you remove a low or expended ink cartridge, you cannot re-install and use the cartridge.Caution: If you remove an ink cartridge for later use, protect the ink supply area from dirt and dust and store it in the same environment as the printer. The valve in the ink supply port is designed to contain any excess ink, but do not touch the ink supply port or surrounding area. Always store ink cartridges with the label facing up; do not store cartridges upside-down.
Note: If you replace a cartridge while copying a document or photo on the scanner glass, cancel printing and make sure your original is still placed correctly on the document table. Then copy your original again.Related concepts
Purchase Epson Ink Cartridges
Ink Cartridge Part Numbers
- Turn on your product.