How do I change the ink cartridge?
Make sure you have a replacement cartridge handy before you begin. You must install the new cartridge immediately after removing the old one.
Caution: Leave your old cartridge in the printer until you are ready to replace it to prevent the print head nozzles from drying out. Do not open the ink cartridge package until you are ready to install the ink. Cartridges are vacuum packed to maintain reliability.
- Turn on your product.
- Lift up the printer cover.
Caution: Do not touch the flat white cable inside the printer.
- Do one of the following:
- If the ink light is on, press the cancel button.
- If the ink light is flashing or off, press the cancel button for six seconds until the ink cartridge holder moves.
Caution: Do not move the print head by hand; otherwise, you may damage your product.
- Squeeze the tab on the cartridge and lift the cartridge straight up to remove it.
Note: Dispose of used cartridges carefully. Do not take the used cartridge apart or try to refill it.
Warning: If ink gets on your skin, wash it thoroughly with soap and water. If ink gets into your eyes, flush them immediately with water. If ink gets into your mouth, spit it out and see a doctor right away. Keep ink cartridges out of the reach of children.
- Before opening the new cartridge package, shake it gently four or five times.
Caution: Do not shake the cartridge after opening the package, or ink may leak.
- Remove the cartridge from the package.
Caution: Do not touch the green chip or the small window on the cartridge. Install the new cartridge immediately after removing the old one; if you do not, the print head may dry out and be unable to print.
- Remove the yellow tape from the cartridge.
Caution: Do not remove any other labels or seals, or ink will leak.
- Insert the new cartridge into the holder and push it down until it clicks into place.
- Close the printer cover.
- Press the cancel button. The print head moves to its home position and the printer starts priming the ink. This takes about 2 minutes.
Caution: Never turn off the product while the power light is flashing or you will waste ink.
If you remove a low or expended ink cartridge, you cannot re-install and use the cartridge.
Caution: If you remove an ink cartridge for later use, protect the ink supply area from dirt and dust and store it in the same environment as the printer. The valve in the ink supply port is designed to contain any excess ink, but do not touch the ink supply port or surrounding area. Always store ink cartridges with the label facing up; do not store cartridges upside-down.Related concepts
Purchase Epson Ink Cartridges