I see the message Printer is Offline when I try to print with a USB connection. What should I do?
Make sure your product is turned on, then do the following:
- Windows 8: Navigate to the Start screen, right-click the screen, and select All Apps. Select Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers. Right-click your printer icon, click See What's Printing, and select Printer and then select Use Printer Offline.
- Windows 7: Click , and select Devices and Printers. double-click your printer icon, click See What's Printing, and select Printer and then select Use Printer Offline.
- Windows Vista: Click , and select Control Panel (or point to Settings and then select Control Panel). Select Printer (under Hardware and Sound) or Printers. Right-click your printer icon, and then select Use Printer Online.
- Windows XP: Click Start, and select Control Panel (or point to Settings and then select Control Panel). Select Printers and Other Hardware (if available) and then Printers and Faxes. Right-click your printer icon, and then select Use Printer Online.
- Mac OS X: Open the menu and select System Preferences > Print and Fax or Print and Scan. select your printer, then click - to remove the printer. click +, select your printer and click Add to add the printer back on the printer queue.
If the steps above did not help, check the solutions below:
- Check the LCD on the product for an error. If there's an error, see the product's User's Guide for instructions on how to correct the error.
- Make sure you are choosing the correct printer when printing. If there are multiple copies of the same printer driver, remove the ones not in use.
- Make sure the USB cable is a shielded "AB" cable not more than 6.5 feet (2 meters) long.
Note: Do not use devices that extend the length of the cable because they can cause signal degradation.
- If you're using a USB hub with your printer, connect the printer directly to your computer.
Note: Do not connect through a USB keyboard. The keyboard acts like a hub and can interfere with signal transmission.
- Connect the USB cable to another USB port on your computer.
- Use a different USB cable.