How do I replace the ink cartridges?
Note: Your printer is designed to work only with genuine Epson-brand ink cartridges. Other brands of ink cartridges and ink supplies are not compatible and, even if described as compatible, may not function properly or at all. Epson periodically provides firmware updates to address issues of security, performance, minor bug fixes and ensure the printer functions as designed. These updates may affect the functionality of third-party ink. Non-Epson branded or altered Epson cartridges that functioned prior to a firmware update may not continue to function.
Removing and Installing Ink CartridgesMake sure you have your replacement cartridges handy before you begin. You must install new cartridges immediately after removing the old ones.
Leave your old cartridges in the printer until you are ready to replace them to prevent the print head nozzles from drying out. Do not open ink cartridge packages until you are ready to install the ink. Cartridges are vacuum packed to maintain reliability.
- Make sure that the CD/DVD tray is not inserted.
- Turn on your product.
- If an ink cartridge is expended, you see a message on the LCD screen. Note which cartridges need to be replaced, select Next, and select Yes, replace now.
- If you are replacing a cartridge before you see a message on the LCD screen, select Maintenance > Ink Cartridge Replacement. Select Next and select Start.
- Lift up the scanner unit.
Do not move the print head by hand; otherwise, you may damage your product. Do not touch the flat white cable or the metal bar inside the product.
- Push in the blue tab to unlock the ink cartridge you are replacing. Then lift the ink cartridge as shown to remove it.
Warning: If ink gets on your skin, wash it thoroughly with soap and water. If ink gets into your eyes, flush them immediately with water. If ink gets into your mouth, spit it out and see a doctor right away. Keep ink cartridges out of the reach of children.
- Recap the used ink cartridge using the cap that came with it. You can also use the cap from your replacement cartridge package.
Note: Dispose of used cartridges carefully. Do not take the used cartridge apart or try to refill it.
- If you are replacing the black ink cartridge, gently shake the new black ink cartridge four or five times. Do not shake the color ink or photo black cartridges.
Do not shake the cartridges after opening the packages, or ink may leak.
- Remove the new ink cartridge from the package.
Do not touch the areas shown here. Doing so may prevent normal operation and printing.
- Remove the cap from the cartridge and save the cap so you can recap ink cartridges before storing or disposing of them.
Do not remove any other labels or seals, or ink will leak.
- Insert the ink cartridge at a slight angle into the ink cartridge holder as shown. Then press the ink cartridge all the way down as shown until it clicks into place.
- After you replace all the cartridges that need replacing, close the scanner unit and select Completed on the LCD screen. The print head moves to its home position and the product starts charging the ink. This takes a few minutes. When you see a completion message on the LCD screen, ink replacement is complete.
Note: If you see an error screen telling you an ink cartridge is installed incorrectly, lift up the scanner unit and press the ink cartridge down until it clicks into place. When you're finished, close the scanner unit.
Do not turn off the product while ink is charging or you may not be able to print. If you remove an ink cartridge for later use, recap the ink cartridge using the cap that came with it to prevent the ink from drying out and to protect the surrounding area from getting smeared by ink. Store the ink cartridge in the same environment as the product. Do not leave the product with the ink cartridges removed for an extended period of time. Otherwise, ink remaining in the print head nozzles may dry out and you may not be able to print.
If you remove an ink cartridge for later use, recap the ink cartridge using the cap that came with it to prevent the ink from drying out and to protect the surrounding area from getting smeared by ink. Store the ink cartridge in the same environment as the product. Do not leave the product with the ink cartridges removed for an extended period of time. Otherwise, ink remaining in the print head nozzles may dry out and you may not be able to print.
Purchase Epson Ink Cartridges