My printout is blurry or smeared. What should I do?
- Make sure your paper is not damp, curled, old, or loaded incorrectly in your product.
- Use a support sheet with special paper, or load special paper one sheet at a time.
- Make sure your paper meets the specifications for your product.
- Use Epson papers to ensure proper saturation and absorption of genuine Epson inks.
- Make sure the paper type setting in your product software matches the type of paper you loaded.
- If you are printing on letterhead paper, make sure the paper size setting matches the size of paper you loaded. If you select a paper size that is too large for the paper you loaded, the product may print beyond the edges of the paper and cause ink to smear.
- Make sure you loaded the printable side of the paper correctly for your product.
- If you are printing on thick paper or envelopes, make sure you select the appropriate settings. In Windows, you can also try selecting Short Grain Paper in Extended Settings.
- If you are printing on thick paper or envelopes, make sure you select the appropriate settings.
- Turn off any high speed settings in your product software.
- If you print on both sides of a sheet of paper, smudges may appear on the reverse side of heavily saturated or dark images. If one side of a sheet will contain a lighter image or text, print that side first. Make sure the ink has dried before reloading the paper to print on the other side. Adjust the density and/or ink drying time settings.
- The ink level may be low and you may need to refill the ink. Visually check the ink level.
- Run a nozzle check to see if any of the print head nozzles are clogged. Then clean the print head, if necessary.
- Align the print head.
- Adjust the print quality in the product software.
- Clean the paper path.
- If you printed when the ink level was too low to be seen in the ink tank window, refill the ink tank to the upper line and run the Power Cleaning utility. Then run a nozzle check to see if print quality has improved.
- If you have not used the product for a long time, run the Power Cleaning utility.
Note: Power Cleaning consumes a lot of ink, so run this utility only if you cannot improve print quality by cleaning the print head.
If your printouts are blurry or smeared, try these solutions:
Note: Your product will not operate properly while tilted at an angle. Place it on a flat, stable surface that extends beyond the base of the product in all directions.Related concepts
Print Head Nozzle Check
Print Head Cleaning
Print Head Alignment
Cleaning the Paper Path
Selecting Basic Print Settings - Windows
Selecting Extended Settings - Windows
Selecting Basic Print Settings - Mac
Refilling Ink and Replacing the Maintenance Box