How do I replace the ink cartridges?
Note:Your printer is designed to work only with genuine Epson-brand ink cartridges. Other brands of ink cartridges and ink supplies are not compatible and, even if described as compatible, may not function properly or at all. Epson periodically provides firmware updates to address issues of security, performance, minor bug fixes and ensure the printer functions as designed. These updates may affect the functionality of third-party ink. Non-Epson branded or altered Epson cartridges that functioned prior to a firmware update may not continue to function.
Removing and Installing Ink CartridgesMake sure you have your replacement cartridges handy before you begin. You must install new cartridges immediately after removing the old ones.
Leave your old cartridges in the printer until you are ready to replace them to prevent the print head nozzles from drying out. Do not open ink cartridge packages until you are ready to install the ink. Cartridges are vacuum packed to maintain reliability.
- Turn on your product.
- If an ink cartridge is expended, you see a message on the LCD screen. Note which cartridges need to be replaced, then press the OK button and follow the instructions on the screen.
- If you are replacing a cartridge before you see a message on the LCD screen, press the home button if necessary, and select Settings > Maintenance > Ink Cartridge(s) Replacement and press the OK button.
- Lift up the printer cover until it locks into place, then open the ink cartridge cover.
Do not move the print head by hand or use any kind of tool to remove a cartridge; otherwise, you may damage your product. Do not touch the flat white cable inside the printer.
- Before opening a new cartridge package, shake it gently four or five times.
Do not shake the cartridges after opening the packages, or ink may leak.
- Remove the cartridge from the package.
Do not touch the green chip on the cartridge. Install the new cartridge immediately after removing the old one; if you do not, the print head may dry out and be unable to print.
- Remove the yellow tape from the base of the cartridge.
Do not remove any other labels or seals, or ink will leak.
- Insert the new cartridge into the holder and push it down until it clicks into place. Make sure all cartridges are pushed down into place.
- Close the ink cartridge cover, then lower the printer cover.
The print head moves to its home position and the printer starts charging the ink. This takes about 90 seconds. When you see a confirmation message on the screen, ink charging is finished.
Caution:If you see an error screen telling you an ink cartridge is installed incorrectly, lift up the scanner unit and press the ink cartridge down until it clicks into place. When you're finished, press the OK button.
Never turn off the product while the power light is flashing or you will waste ink.
If you remove a low or expended ink cartridge, you cannot re-install and use the cartridge.
If you remove an ink cartridge for later use, protect the ink supply area from dirt and dust and store it in the same environment as the printer. The valve in the ink supply port is designed to contain any excess ink, but do not touch the ink supply port or surrounding area. Always store ink cartridges with the label facing up; do not store cartridges upside-down.
Purchase Epson Ink Cartridges and Maintenance Box
- Turn on your product.