My printout has lines running through it. What should I do?
If you notice white or dark lines in your prints (also called banding), try these solutions before you reprint:
- Run a nozzle check to see if any of the print head nozzles are clogged. Then clean the print head, if necessary.
- Make sure the paper type setting matches the type of paper you loaded.
- Turn off any high speed settings in your product software.
- Align the print head. If print quality does not improve after aligning the print head, disable the bidirectional (high speed) setting.
- Adjust the print quality in the product software.
- If you are copying from the ADF, copy from the scanner glass instead or use a higher quality setting.
- Clean any dust or dirt from your originals.
- Clean the ADF.
- You may need to replace the ink cartridges.
- If you have not used the product for a long time, run the Power Cleaning utility.
Note: Power Cleaning consumes a lot of ink, so run this utility only if you cannot improve print quality by cleaning the print head.
Print Head Cleaning
Print Head Nozzle Check
Print Head Alignment
Aligning the Print Head Using the Product Control Panel
Selecting Additional Layout and Print Options - Windows
Selecting Printing Preferences - Mac
Paper or Media Type Settings - Printing Software
Replacing Ink Cartridges and Maintenance Boxes