How do I replace an ink cartridge when an ink low or out condition occurs?
Be sure you have a new ink cartridge before you begin. Once you start the ink cartridge replacement procedure, you must complete all the steps in one session. Follow these steps to replace ink cartridges:
1. Make sure the printer is turned on and not printing (the power light should be on, but not flashing).
2. Check the black and color ink out lights to see which ink cartridge you need to replace.
3. Open the printer cover.
4. Press the cleaning button and hold it for about three seconds until the print head moves left and the power light begins flashing. The print head moves to the black or color cartridge replacement position, depending on which ink cartridge is empty.
5. The color cartridge is on the right and the black cartridge is on the left. Pull the ink cartridge clamp up all the way. The cartridge rises up from its holder. To avoid damaging the printer, never move the print head by hand. Don't open the clamp or remove a cartridge except to replace it with a new one. Once you remove a cartridge, you can't reuse it, even if it contains ink.
6. Lift the cartridge out of the printer and dispose of it carefully.
7. Unwrap the new ink cartridge. Then remove the yellow tape seal on top.
8. Lower the new ink cartridge into its holder with the label facing up and toward the back of the printer.
9. Press the ink cartridge clamp down until it locks in place.
10. If you need to replace the other ink cartridge, repeat steps 4 through 9 before continuing with step 11.
11. Press the cleaning button and close the printer cover. The printer moves the print head and begins charging the ink delivery system. The power light flashes and the printer makes noise. Charging takes about one minute. When it's finished, the power light stops flashing and stays on. Never turn off the printer while the power light is flashing, unless the printer hasn't moved or made noise for more than 5 minutes.e minute. When it's finished, the power light stops flashing and stays on. Never turn off the printer while the power light is flashing, unless the printer hasn't moved or made noise for more than 5 minutes.
Published: Apr 15, 2008 Was this helpful? Thank you for the feedback!