I see inconsistent color results when I print step and repeat images across a sheet of media. What should I do?
- Paper Feed Adjustment
- Head Alignment
- Paper Thickness
Create a Custom Paper setting for your media by adjusting the following settings:
To adjust these settings, do the following:
- Clean the print head if necessary. See these instructions.
- Load the media type you want to use in the printer.
- Press the Menu button, select Paper, and then press the right arrow button.
- Select Select Paper Type > Custom Paper Setting and press the up or down arrow button to select a paper configuration number from 1 to 10. Then press the OK button.
- Select Custom Paper Setting and select the paper configuration number you selected in the previous step. Then press the right arrow button.
- Select Select Reference Paper and select the media type you loaded in the printer.
Note: For proofing, we recommend you use Epson Proofing Paper White Semimatte. We recommend choosing a paper that closely matches the white point and thickness of the paper you are using.
- Select Platen Gap, select a Platen Gap setting, press OK, and then press the left arrow button. If you don't know the thickness of the paper you're using, we recommend you use the default setting.
- Select Detect Paper Thickness, press the right arrow button, and then press OK.
A pattern similar to the one below prints.
Note: A loupe or magnifying glass may be required to accurately see the alignment.
Examine the pattern and choose the number with the best alignment of the vertical lines.
- Select the number you noted for the Detect Paper Thickness setting in the previous step, press OK, and then press the left arrow button to return to the menu.
- Select Paper Feed Adjust > Pattern and then press OK.
A pattern similar to the one below prints. Select the number with the lightest-color pattern in each row, and then press OK.
- Select Drying Time Per Pass, select a time greater than 3 seconds, and then press OK.
- Adjust the following settings, if necessary:
- Paper Suction: Lets you adjust the paper suction level when you print on thin media (under 12 pounds [5.4 kg]), such as drafting paper or back light film.
- Roll Paper Tension: Lets you adjust the tension. Select High or Extra High for cloth, thin paper, or paper that wrinkles during printing.
- Remove Skew: Lets you enable paper skew reduction.
- Setting Name: Lets you enter a name for the custom paper setting.
- Press the Menu button, select Maintenance > Head Alignment > Auto > Bi-D All Color, and then press OK.
Note: If you plan to create dot proofs, perform the Auto method and verify it with the Manual method.
Note: Do not open the front cover or turn off the printer during the alignment process.